Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Have you ever actually fainted? I have, a couple times. I got very sick-probably a stomach flu-about 3 years ago. I couldn't eat or drink anything for 4 days. Don't worry, I'll spare you the fabulous details. The first symptom I noticed was a overwhelming fatigue; really drained. After about a day without food I was starting to feel woozy while lying down. Later (but I'm not sure how much) I was in the bathroom when I got hot and cold all over at the same time, my lips got that tingly feeling like when my foot falls asleep. I really just wanted to lie down on the cool floor and take a little rest. I seriously frightened my dad (the only member of the house not sick) when he tried to open the door but couldn't cause my feet were blocking it. He was the one who explained that I fainted and insisted that I get back into bed. I remember arguing with him, saying that I was much more comfortable where I was. I mumbled that I was tired of lying in bed and wanted to stay on the cool floor. Fainting was the oddest feeling I ever experienced. It was really an overwhelming desire to sleep.

Since I started back to classes full time I've been exposed to lots of information about the N1H1 Virus and the necessity of flu shots and the different ways I can protect myself and others if I should happen to develop flu-like symptoms. This has got me thinking about the last time I got flu-like symptoms-granted a stomach flu rather than a head cold. This combined with reading historic romances-where women sometimes faint for effect-got me thinking about fainting.

No comments:

Post a Comment